Our Alexandra

Thursday, December 21, 2006

She came to us on Wednesday August 16th, 2006. My wife and I had tried numerous times to have our own baby, and had experienced numerous disappointments. It was after a Resolve conference ( www.resolve.org) that we met the incredible ladies from A is for Adoption (www.ais4adoption.com). We consulted with them, and signed on in May of 2006. It was mid June when we got a call from the agency that a birthmother had picked us out of a group of portfolios! We met the birthmother on June 29th, and decided to move forward. It was at that point that I truly understood what love is. This woman loved her child enough to give her to us. THAT is the ultimate love, and I am forever thankful that she chose us, and I will never forget her for that. Our little girl was due in late August. Just two months from meeting the birthmother, and our baby will be home! Most prospective parents have nine months to prepare for their child, we had less than two!

She weighed in at seven pounds and three ounces. She was eighteen inches long. We were in the room for her arrival, and we got to touch her and clean her. It was the greatest day of my life. At first the birthmother did not want to see her. I made eye contact with her and through my tears I mouthed, "Thank you." She replied, "You're welcome." Eventually she was able to hold her and we took pictures of her with little Alex.

Two days later our baby came home with us. I held her in my arms, looking at this little being, and I could not imagine loving someone any more than I love her. I did not care about her genetics, or if my "seed" had been extended. She is our baby, and whether she came from our sperm and egg or not, makes no difference.

I say this to encourage those that are dealing with difficulties with having children to seek some advice about adoption. We had talked about it in the past, but it didn't seem like a plausible option until we looked into it more thoroughly. Even if it is not the answer, looking into it will inform you, I encourage those to check it out.

Anyway, this blog will be all about Alexandra's life. There will be pictures and comments. I hope you all enjoy it!

Dad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home